Money Lesson Plans & Printables
Our Money Lesson Plans, Printables and hands-on activities are guaranteed to make learning about Australian coins Fun for kids. Make your math planning EASY with our MUST-HAVE Teacher Resources!
Teaching money is one of my favourite topics to plan and teach. The kids love learning about it too! Well, actually they love playing with the money and get very excited when they get to plunge their hands into the boxes of play money. This is before the mention of a class play shop!
So why is this? If you’ve been in the teaching game a few years, then like me, maybe you have noticed that math and money in the real world have changed a lot (am sounding quite old now…hahahah… wait I am!).
I have literally been affected by these changes myself and if I check my wallet right now, I will not find any coins or notes in there! I just don’t use money like I used to! I am guilty of paying for absolutely EVERYTHING with my flexible friend!
I can’t even remember the last time I used the ATM or even set foot in the BANK! This is a sign of the times and a reminder of the importance of helping the kids to connect math to real life!
How to Teach Money In The Classroom
Teaching Money is broken down into 8 areas:
- Coin Recognition – Recognise features, describe & order coins
- Note Recognition – Recognise features, describe & order notes
- Collections – Count and order small collections of notes & coins
- Equivalences – Show money values in multiple ways
- Change – Give change to the nearest 5 cents
- Problem-Solving -Solve money word problems involving change
- Simple Financial Planning – simple budgets
- Percentage Discounts
Money Lesson Plans & Activities
Check out these awesome money lesson plans, printables, games and teacher worksheets.
Our teaching coins printables have been created to make sure they cover every element for a deep understanding of coins. We have also focussed on making sure the printables do not scaffold the students or inadvertently tell them the answer! (a sheet with the title addition could be scaffolding students’ ability to select the correct operation to solve a problem!)
These coin printables are focussed on coin recognition and include the opportunity for students to discover:
- Coins are different in other countries
- The features of coins – colour, size, shape, animals or people featured
- Which coins are worth more or less than others
- How to sort coins according to criteria – size, shape, colour and more
- Different coins represent different amounts
- The size of the coin doesn’t represent the value of the coin
- How to record coin values using, numbers, words & symbols
Resources listed in this collectionClick to jump to...
Money Lesson Plans & Printables - Australian Coins Unit
More Australian Money Activities
Can't find what you're looking for?
Send us a request! Use this form to request a resource. Please give details of the learning area, topic, year level, curriculum links. We’ll be happy to take a look to see if we can fit it in. Unfortunately a request does not guarantee we will be able to make it!
"*" indicates required fields