Christmas Equal Sharing Activities
Our hands-on Christmas Equal Sharing Activities are perfect for teaching your EYFS, Preprimary or Kindergarten students early division skills. These Christmas-themed math games, puzzles, worksheets and math centre teaching resources will help your kids learn about sharing and grouping quantity.
How To Teach Division by Sharing
So what is Division in maths? In the Early Years Math Classroom Division is the process of splitting a quantity or an object into equal groups.
In simple terms, the main goal of dividing is to see how many are in each group when sharing fairly.
In technical terms, the division process is where one number (the dividend) is divided by another number (the divisor) to get a third number (the quotient). But this is taught formally much later and is only here for teacher reference!
When first introducing EYFS, Kindergarten, Preprimary and Year 1 students the focus in not on a FORMAL division, process but rather, the idea of Sharing Equally.
Teaching Early Years Students about division should be centred around practical hands-on activities that involve concrete materials where students can explore and discover a range of practical strategies and opportunities to discuss and model the process of sharing.
Kindergarten, Preprimary, and Year 1 Teaching programs should include opportunities and activities that allow students to:
- Develop the language of sharing, division, equal share, fair share, equal groups; using these terms interchangeably
- Role play equal sharing – e.g. take a collection and share between 2 people – “one for you, one for me” and checking that each person has the same amount
- Make equal groups from an amount
- Identify if they are equal shares
- Identify how many each group or person got.
- Link hands-on sharing to number sentences
- Identify the difference between a set of objects into 3 equal groups (sharing) and dividing the same set of objects into groups of 3 (grouping)
Click the Buttons for More Teaching Resources…
Resources listed in this collectionClick to jump to...
Christmas Equal Sharing Acrivities For Teaching Division
More Christmas Maths Resources
Can't find what you're looking for?
Send us a request! Use this form to request a resource. Please give details of the learning area, topic, year level, curriculum links. We’ll be happy to take a look to see if we can fit it in. Unfortunately a request does not guarantee we will be able to make it!
"*" indicates required fields