Teaching Fraction Halves couldn’t be more engaging and fun than with our Real Life Sorting Mats. Your Kindergarten, Preps & Year 1 Students will have a ball Learning About Half, Whole and Parts!
Teaching Fractions Halves to your Kindergarten, Preps, & Year 1 students is a breeze with these fantastic fraction resources.
Add some hands-on exploration of fractions halves, wholes and parts by adding manipulatives, playdough and cuttable toys like fruit, vegetables, & pizza to use with our fraction printables to help students establish a sound understanding of the concept of one-half.
Teaching fractions appears throughout the curriculum from K-Y6. But please be sure to check your state curriculum requirements, as every state is different! Please check to see which year level you need to teach the Fraction Halves concept before you dive in!
In some states, like NSW, the fraction halves concept is taught in Early Stage 1 Kindergarten/Foundation. But in WA it’s not taught until Year 1, so please check first if you should be teaching it at all!
What is certain is that the idea of equal parts, wholes and one half is one of the first fraction concepts that students need to learn, so these resources are perfect for developing this understanding no matter the year level.
These fraction activities will help students learn to:
Establish the concept of one half:
- share an object by dividing it into two equal parts, e.g. cutting an image into 2 equal parts
- recognise that halves are 2 equal parts
- recognise when two parts are not halves of one whole
- use the term half accurately in everyday situations
- record halves of objects using images and drawings
- halves can be different shapes & sizes
- communicate using the language: whole, half, halves, part, equal parts
Click the images below to start downloading…Don’t forget to login!